Epilepsy is more common than many people think. According to the Epilepsy Foundation:
- Epilepsy and seizures affect nearly 3 million Americans of all ages.
- Approximately 200,000 new cases of seizures and epilepsy occur each year.
- Ten percent of the American population will experience a seizure in their lifetime.
- Incidence is highest under the age of 2 and over 65.
- Incidence is greater in African American and socially disadvantaged populations.
- Trends show decreased incidence in children; increased incidence in the elderly.
- In 70 percent of new cases, no cause is apparent.
Do you know someone who has epilepsy? Fill out the poll!