I have been reading Thich Nhat Hanh‘s book ‘Savor Mindful Eating, Mindful Life.’ Inside of it he suggests a ten-week sample mindful living plan. I will make small modifications for my own lifestyle. This ten-week plan helps integrate mindful living into your life while emphasizing weight control.
Week 1 & 2
- Cut down the amount of sugared beverages. I have already started doing this with sodas and plan to carry it to other beverages with a lot of sugar in them.
- Establish a regular meal schedule and do not skip meals.
- Do some form of exercise or activity for about 20 minutes per day. The key for me is to get moving. This is an area that will give me a few problems since I have always made excuses in the past to postpone exercise until a later date.
- It is also recommended that you find ways to integrate meditation into everyday activities.
Journal your progress
- According to the book, recording your progress in a journal helps people with weight control. There are many resources that you can use to do this. It may also be useful to reflect on your progress so far. What has worked for you? What has not worked for you?